2007 has been a year of transitions for me, and I don’t have any idea what’s next. For ten years, I defined myself as Guardian ad Litem, Voices for Children Board member, and Weight Watchers leader. Now I have let go of the last two and am looking for something new. I did it in each case, because it was time, but I still feel a little wistful about both. The success of my WW members and the fundraising events I chaired for the VFC Board were sources of pride and satisfaction for me and kept me out in the community. I am hoping to find new pursuits that will do the same, relying on that old adage about one door opening when another closes - and hoping I don’t have to stand in the hall too long!
There was another significant ending for us all in 2007. Just before Christmas, we lost both of the “Extended Family Dogs”. They were my parents’ dogs, but the boys grew up with them. At eleven, Daisy the Dane had outlived the breed average by a good five years and was going down slowly. One leg didn’t work, she stayed in her bed, she forgot to eat…. But Samantha, the Australian Shepherd, though stone deaf, was her usual irrepressible Alpha-Girl self at age 13… until early December, when she began to have seizures and pretty much lost her mobility. Perhaps also her eyesight. They were so close to each other, Mom made the hard decision, but the right decision, that they should go out together. Thelma and Louise took their last ride two weeks ago. It was all good and gentle. They loved the vet and even accepted cookies from him, after not eating for days. Then, once sedated, they left us. We are bereft.
Daisy was a bit of a floozy, always loving the Man of the Moment, but few more than the Clarendon guys. (This is a matter of some contention, but most grudgingly agree that Dan was first in her heart… He logged a lot of sofa time with her while babysitting his cousin…)
She “sat” on our laps by maneuvering her backside into position on the sofa and leaning back as close as possible to, or on, her beloved-of-the-moment, bestowing her searching, soulful gaze and growling her complaints if one’s attention was diverted from her.
Samantha was my favorite – the Utility Dog to Daisy’s Doleful Drama Queen and a first-class Mischief Maker. It was Sam who peed with pleasure when the b
oys arrived, herded them, and gave them sloppy kisses. Sam earned her demonic moniker, “Satam”, over and over again but always wiggled back into my parents’ good graces with her irrepressible spirit.
On to the good things! Topping the list this year: salsa dancing and acupuncture. Rich and I started in a “Salsa Beginner I” class in March and have sweated our way up to “Salsa Advanced II”. It’s totally fun, and pretty darned aerobic as well. I am proud to say we are now doing advanced moves in a se
mi-dorky way, instead of our former semi-dorky basic moves. Whee! Our teachers are proud of us; that must mean something… And we’re often the only Anglos AND the oldest in the class, for what that’s worth.
My second happy discovery is Acupuncture. I had a litany of minor physical ills and, at the suggestion of my friend Jackie, took them to the most wonderful doctor on the planet. She turned me into a voodoo doll (and I DID feel the needles going in!), even wiring me up for electrical current between certain needles. But then I got to lie in a darkened room listening to classical music for 45 minutes or so – pure bliss! After six treatments, all of my petty complaints were history. When my foot (damaged ligaments) started twinging again after a one marathon 4-hour Salsa Saturday, the stresses of Christmas were upon me… and she treated that too, through the Four Gateways (soles and palms). I positively floated out of that office. Wow!
Finally, a little wake-up call for me yesterday. After all of my obsessing about what could have gone better in 2007, not to mention the post-Christmas rush to finish Christmas cards and complete a belated rum ball distribution, we took the canoe to Fort DeSoto State Park, one of the most beautiful beach areas on the planet, for an outdoor adventure with other members of Sustany, the fledgling environmental group a friend here is starting. Just being out on the water was such a tonic, in perfect
I will sign off tunefully, with my favorite home movie of the year, featuring Brown U's Bear Necessities, Ben's friend Jed Resnick, and Ben's knee. May your 2008 be wonderful!
Sue
No comments:
Post a Comment