I don't take nearly as many photos as I should, so, for want of actual photos, I have enlisted my "Sims" to represent me in the following illustrations! But don't worry; I have some real-life photos on display at the bottom of this post.I’m now in the middle of my second year at Hampshire College. Deferring my admission by a year put me a year behind all of my friends, so they’re all getting ready to graduate in 2009. But I don’t really feel left behind, because most of them are going to grad school (as I myself might), so all of us still have a lot of college life in front of us. I am glad that I had a year off, because now I know what to expect for Life After College.
Hampshire is a unique college. For example, it tops the Princeton Review list of schools with the most "Birkenstock-Wearing, Tree-Hugging, Clove-Smoking Vegetarians." (We're also #7 on the "Reefer Madness" list and #10 on the "Dodgeball Targets" list.) I always tell people that I consider myself liberal but I think I'm one of the most conservative people there. In addition to all the Birkenstock-wearing, the tree-hugging, and the clove-smoking, however, it's also a place where you can really pursue whatever field of study. That's good for me, especially since my interests changed a lot this year.
I entered Hampshire College determined to study film production. But now, I want to write for television. I took a film production course this semester, and it was enjoyable, but not as enjoyable as I was expecting -- so I know I'm making the right choice. And there are so many film students at Hampshire, I am glad to be doing something original.
During my first year at Hampshire, I attended a meeting for the college newspaper just on a whim. I left the meeting feeling excited, so I started writing, editing, doing layout—getting involved in every way I could. I guess my enthusiasm impressed the editors-in-chief, because they named me as one of their successors. I was honored to be chosen and excited to start work. It has been a challenge in the months since, however. Since the newspaper is completely volunteer-run, it’s difficult to get committed staff members. And we've had plenty of kinks to work out. But I am proud of the publication we produce, and hope to take it even further in my remaining time at Hampshire. (Oh, and it’s called The Climax, so you can imagine the type of innuendo we use for our flyers and posters!)
And since my passion is television, I feel no shame in watching it for hours per week! (I consider it research.) But it's not like I zone out in front of the tube. I only watch things that engage me completely. And I have to pay attention because most of my favorite shows are serialized dramas, with long, overarching storylines and labyrinthine plots. But I also like a few comedies—but nothing with a laugh track. My happiest discoveries of 2007 were Battlestar Galactica (the new version) and 30 Rock—both exceptional shows. My mom also got me started on Ugly Betty, which is also very fun. Sadly, 2007 marked the end of two of my favorite shows: Veronica Mars and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip—both taken before their time. But the cancellation of those shows reminds me that the television business is a risky one, and job security is hardly easy to find. But I’m enthralled with the prospect, and I’m willing to live as a starving artist if it means I get to do something I love.This is a year when television writers have gotten a lot of press, due to the WGA strike. As a prospective television writer myself, I completely support the writers’ cause. But at the same time, I miss my shows!
I’m happy to say my addiction has rubbed off on my friends as well. Four of my friends became hooked on Alias, my all-time favorite show, which means I get to watch along with them. As someone who can pretty much recite all 105 episodes from memory, it’s fun to watch them experience all the twists and turns for the first time. My friend Pavel came over to the house two days ago, hoping to finish the series. He was 15 episodes away, but we finished a short 12 hours later! (Now, he’s itching to watch my Lost DVDs!)
I have fewer friends than I did during my high school days, I would say. But I'm not complaining, because I'm very close to the friends I do have. It is hard to leave for a college that's a thousand miles away from my friends, but -- thanks to the Internet -- we're able to stay in touch pretty easily. In friend-related news, one of my long-lost friends called me a few days before Christmas. I had all but given up on him, so it was a very nice surprise to hear from him again!In other news, I’m all smiles this month because I have a new smile to show off. After my orthodontist cried uncle when my teeth just would not cooperate, he sent me to a maxillofacial surgeon. The problem was that my lower jaw was canted in a way that my teeth didn’t meet on one side. So I went under the knife in July. Six hours under the knife, fifteen titanium screws, three days in the hospital, and four weeks drinking “food” through a straw later, I could see that my teeth were much better aligned. And a couple of weeks ago, my braces were taken off, and I could unveil my new smile. It’s not picture-perfect, but it’s perfect enough for me. I have a normal smile, and that’s all I could ask for!
That's all of the major news, I think. In smaller news, I bought a laptop this past summer. I knew it'd be useful in college, but I had no idea how much I needed it until I actually had it. Another thing I bought was a round-trip ticket to Chicago to visit my aunt, uncle, and friend. I had a blast -- it was worth every penny.I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Here's to 2008 being even better than 2007. I, for one, am looking forward to a great year.
And now for the real photos. Just hit the green play button:
Happy new year, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment