Tuesday, January 1, 2008

December 2007 - From Rich's Keyboard

It seems like just last week we we're ushering in 2007 and already it's gone! How quickly time goes by, especially as one gets older.

Nevertheless, the year had its share of memorable moments, beginning in January when I got the opportunity to become a consultant. I made the decision to go to work for URS Corporation, a large, multi-national planning, engineering and design firm with offices here in Tampa. My official title is "multi-modal planning manager", which essentially means that I am responsible for transportation planning projects involving planes, trains and automobiles. My clients are generally state and local agencies mostly here on Florida's Gulf coast. After a career working for a variety of public agencies, I note some distinct differences in the private sector: some that I enjoy, such as the diversity of projects, locales and clients, and some not so much, such as the finding the right balance generating billable hours today versus the pursuit of future work. My new position entails a longer commute, 45 minutes in each direction, or about 15 minutes longer than my previous commute. Not so much, but over the course of a work week it adds up, and worst of all, makes the occasional lunch date with Sue less frequent. Que lastima! But on the bright side, I am learning the consulting business, and think I am making a go of it.

Other highlights from 2007 include an invitation from our old friend Bill "Zippy the Pinhead" Burger for me to participate in the fabled Rubonia Mardi Gras Parade. I think Bill was getting desperate. This year's theme was "back to your roots", and in keeping with past tradition, Bill's concept involved a bunch of reprobates dressed only in beer barrels, so naturally our parade float was dubbed the "Root Beer Float". Bill made all the beer barrel costumes, each of which featured a sudsy head piece and best of all, functioning beer tap. Needless to say, we were the hit of the parade!


April brought the sad news that Ray Miller, my former boss and executive director of the Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority died of cancer. He was a great guy, much respected in the community and the transit industry, and a mentor of sorts. Ray was not so much older than me, and his untimely death was a reminder that life is precious and that we should consider each day a gift.

In a moment of weakness, for her birthday last year I rashly promised Sue that I would join her in Salsa lessons. That was almost nine months ago and we're still at it. I find that learning to dance is much like learning a language. You must master the vocabulary and syntax of movements and steps until you become fluent to the point that can sustain a dialogue without even thinking about it. Some lessons Sue and/or I feel triumphant, others not so much, but overall, it's fair to say that we hold our own on the dance floor. Perhaps one day we'll even venture forth to a night club!

We still own our 22' sailboat, the Adelante, although in June, ever-increasing dockage costs finally persuaded me to relocate it from St. Petersburg to Ruskin on the other side of Tampa Bay. This saves us a few bucks every month and another benefit is that getting to it only takes about 30 minutes as opposed to an hour before. Still, we use it less than I'd like to, and if I could sell it for the right price, I would. Make me an offer - no reasonable offer refused!

Another fringe benefit to joining my new company is the opportunity to sail with some of my colleagues. One of my co-workers, Tom Turton (now retired from URS), owns "Team Effort", a Tartan 30 that he races regularly out of the Davis Island Yacht Club in Tampa. During the months when we have daylight savings, the DIYC hosts a Thursday night race series that we participated in. Some nights we did well, others we don't talk about, but we always had fun and I have gained a lot of experience on the foredeck learning to set and take down a spinnaker.

July was notable because of poor old Dan's jaw surgery, made necessary after years of orthodontia failed to close the gap on one side of his mouth, potentially leading to uneven wear and tear on the other side of his bite. Five hours of surgery and two days of hospitalization resulted in Dan having a much improved bite and a whole new profile, but boy recovery was hard on him! Much swelling, pain, and a liquid diet was necessary almost until he returned to school in August. I think the results are worth it, but Dan should speak for himself.

Later in September, after years of mere talk, I finally rendezvoused with Pete Mendel, another old friend and Eagle Scout, for a marvelous trek in the Grand Tetons National Park. Pete is an avid outdoorsman and marathon runner, and before our trip he tactfully hinted that hiking in the high country with full packs would be strenuous. So what kind of shape was I in? Even though I try to keep myself in shape by running every other day, I was motivated to try even more to shed some weight and get my old leg muscles limbered up. But I am happy to report that I was able to keep up quite well with Pete and two of his friends Jim Howe and J.R. Tomlinson who joined us for three days of hiking and two nights of camping. Our trek was less than 20 miles, but we went up from a starting elevation of about 6,000' to almost 11,000'. Maybe the other guys took mercy on me and were loafing, but fortunately there was not too much huffing and puffing on my part. The pay-off was the magnificent alpine scenery in early fall glory: like God's cathedral spires, the Tetons towered above us while we caught glimpses of forests and lakes below us. We also spent time exploring Jackson Hole: artsy, filled with tourists (like us), but not without its charms.

After parting with my fellow hikers, I drove across Wyoming to spend a couple of days with my brother Chip, his wife Jill, my nephew Jack and nieces Sadie and Maggie Jo. From my perspective, they lead an idyllic life in the foothills of the Big Horn Mountains but how different from my own citified existence! I had a taste of cattle ranching, living close to nature and being able to ride the range looking for cows that had been let loose from their pasture. I got to help celebrate Jill's birthday, become better acquainted with my nieces and nephew. I am grateful for to Chip and his family for their hospitality.

And wrapping up 2007, we had a visit from our friends from Spain, Julio and Maria-Jesus (a.k.a. Coi). Last year they gave us the royal treatment when we spent a week at their home in Malaga, so it was our turn to host them for the holidays and show them the best that Florida has to offer. We took them to theme parks, shopping, natural attractions, really just scratching the surface, but they will be returning soon we hope to establish a business here in the U.S. So we hope to see more of them in the not too distant future.


All in all, 2007 has had its trials and tribulations, but we are fortunate to have our livelihoods, health, and friendships. For that I am grateful to my family, my country and to God. I wish the same to each of you in 2008.

1 comment:

GL Brown said...

Clarendons;

Your xmas letters, and now your blogs, have always amused and inspired. 2007 was an eventful year for all the Clarendons, though I found the salsa news very disturbing.

The only email address I have for you is from hartline, so drop me a line, glbrown78@gmail.com

How ‘bout dem Giants???

Reynolds